Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Last days in Colorado!

Spent the last 2 days in Colorado taking it easy and tapering on the drinking. Brownie wanted to check into rehab, but we all know it's just for quitters who like to whine. So I think he just kept drinking.

On Sunday after the marathon, we got a moderately slow start back to the Springs. With two stops at some breweries, and then a stop at the Thunderbird Inn for a beer, some photos, and this rad painting of Willie Nelson. Very cool. The snow was coming down relentlessly, and we skirted over the pass without much problems.




That night, Brownie, Pete (who had just arrived in the Springs), and myself were going to the Black Sheep.....again....to see Stockholm Syndrome in concert.
The show was pretty good, and they packed them in. The opening band "These United States" were actually pretty good. Even though the singer was so out of breath. hahahaha as he stated, "we're not used to playing at these altitudes". Needless to say, we consumed quite a few tall boys, and I think Pete was pretty glazed over by the time we headed out, calling Katie to come get us at the Irish #4. :D

He passed out on the hard wood floor, which is when I realized how out of it he was. LOL

The next morning, we decided we'd get a quick run in, before heading over to Kings Chef for some breakfast/lunch. Over to Red Rock Canyon, with Blos, Pete, Nacheux and myself for a quick 4 miler. It was absolutely stunning. The snow had fallen all night, the sun was up, but it wasn't warm enough to melt the snow off the branches. It was like running in a winter wonderland. Very cool stuff.


After which, it was off to the Kings Chef for a bacon cheeseburger, with green chili on the side, + fries. :D finished it off, and earned my 2nd "Clean Plate Sticker" of the weekend. The Kings Chef is an iconic local diner, and they have the "New Mexico Stomper" which is a 5 lb hamburger (10 .5lb patties on two buns, covered in green chili, all the fixins and a side of fries. You get an hour to complete it, and nobody had done it.

Well Pete decided he was going to go for it the following day. Sadly, I'd be on a plane. He made a good run at it, but came up short. Don't blame him. That is a shit ton of food.

All in all a phenomenal weekend of drinking, partying, running and shenanigans. :D

8 comments:

brownie said...

Helluva weekend! Gotta do it again soon. Mt Lemmon?

machete said...

:| it's all fucking uphill, the entire marathon. are you kidding? hahahaha

brownie said...

It only gains like 6000 feet. I have bigger hills in my backyard!

machete said...

alright, I'll look at the dates. hahaha

A-Bomb said...

Hey, I am trying the New Mexico Stomper soon. Can you help a brother out with more pictures of the eating or contact info for Pete...

machete said...

A-bomb, I'll get pictures up. I think Pete did about 6 of the 10 burger patties. :D

A-Bomb said...

Very good, thanks man!

Anonymous said...

I don't know who Willie Nelson is BUT [once] my sister painted a picture of Michael Jackson.

Normally, I'd be nice and say it looked like him...BUT it really did [so i didn't have to lie]. The only problem was finding a place to hang it...I think it's in the computer room--No one EVER goes in there. [=