Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Pay attention Steph...

haha, this one is for you. I had been telling the roommates that I would cook some food up, and wasn't sure of what to make, but finally decided, some flautas would be a good start.

Nothing major, it's similar to enchiladas, but it's fried tortillas as opposed to baked.
What to start with:
1-rotisserie chicken
habanero peppers
Canola oil
Avocado
Canned Salsa Verde
Bush's best Pinto beans
Corn tortillas
Sour Cream
Queso Fresco
Garlic cloves (2)
I made the Green sauce first. Pretty quick recipe for some good sauce, and also can be a dipping sauce, or just eat it with some nacho chips or what not.

1-Avocado
2- cans of "salsa verde" (found in the Mexican food section)
2- cloves of garlic
1- habanero pepper (add more if you like it really spicy, but I got roomates)
1- big spoonful of sour cream.
(might have to add some water to this, maybe half a cup to loosen it up a bit)
chucked it all in the blender and liquefied it. Voila, green sauce, nice and thick, and ready to pour after being heated up.

Pulled all the meat off the chicken bones, and then chopped up a good cup's worth of chicken. (The left over chicken is great for chicken salad sandwiches)

Next, it's time to make the flautas. (flautas = flutes)
1-whole rotisserie chicken (overkill really, but plenty of meat for leftovers)
corn tortillas (I have an issue with this, as they always seem to break when being rolled, so you have to heat them up a bit first) as you can see from the one on the far left.

I bought some canola oil (don't use olive oil), so there wouldn't be an off taste to it.

After heating up the canola oil, and heating up the tortillas separately, you take some chicken, roll it up in a tortilla, and then put a toothpick through it, and keep it rolled up.
I made 5 of them, and then you place them in the hot canola oil, and watch them, turning them as the tortillas are fried into a crisp light brown color.

I usually pull them and put them on a paper towel to drain as much oil as possible, pull the toothpick, and you are done with the flautas.
For the best, and most authentic style refried beans (I got this from my grandma) without having to cook them from scratch, buy some Bush's best Pinto beans, throw them in the pan, heat them up to a boil, lower the heat to about a low to medium, and then use the potato masher to crush them.


For serving and presentation (as I'm told by my friend Va. that I must) , I took some real thin slices of iceberg lettuce, and laid it out on the plate, then placed the flautas on top of that, heated up the green sauce, and poured it on top of the flautas.
Refried beans on the side, and I added something I hadn't found in a long time, and that's "Queso Fresco" which I got at the local Carniceria (Mexican meat market) and you crumble some of it on top of the beans and also the green sauce.

a few things: I was very surprised at how well the green sauce turned out. No need to reduce it, as I thought I would have too. It was spicy. Very spicy, but perfect. Like I said, add more Habaneros to make it even better. I might even have to add a bit of water to loosen it up a bit more. Seemed really thick.

Enjoy.

3 comments:

JadedOne said...

Hahhaha wow an entire post dedicated to me! Awesome :) Your presentation is very nice. I hope to see more food posts like this in the future!

machete said...

You will. Talked to my friend Va. and when I get back from Colombia, we will be making gumbo and jambalaya next week! :D She's a coonass!

ESPN said...

MMMM...lunch time. I made enchiladas this weekend. Usually I cook them with home made sauce (blending whole chilies) but this time I just used a packet and it was good but nothing like the red sauce I usually make. Great write up...made my mouth water lol!